Leyburn Town Council

Market Town & Gateway to the Yorkshire Dales

Minutes of the Leyburn Town Plan Steering Group Meeting

held Tuesday 13 March 2018 at Thornborough Hall, Oak room

 

Those in attendance: Ian Pace - Chairman, Derek Riley, Sandra Charles, Sue Medley,

Charlotte Smith, Gillian Wall, Chris Grayell, Nigel Watson, Marjorie Iveson and

Richard Sanderson.

Leah Swain NYCC

  1. Apologies had been received from:- Michael Hepper, Karin Sedgwick and Keith Garrard.

 

  1. There were no declarations of interest.

3.

Minutes and Matters arising

The minutes of the February meeting were proposed by Chris Grayell and seconded by Sue Medley, everyone agreed that they were a true record.

Actions Pending

It was agreed that we close the action regarding volunteers.

The action regarding emptying of bins at the play area is Pending.

The action regarding updating the schools is Pending

Richard still needs to submit all invoices to Julie for payment, he was requested to do this asap.

Richard updated us on the prize situation, he is still experiencing problems in contacting one winner. He will contact P Sedgwick to arrange publicity.

4.

Action Plan

The updated action plans had been distributed to the group. Leah suggested a few slight changes and improved wording which Ian and Derek will follow up.

Leah was very impressed with what had been achieved by the group.

Gillian suggested that actions relating to the library and comments received in the surveys were passed along to the library volunteers. Derek agreed to do this.

Leah observed there were a number of actions for LTC to handle and we should recommend setting up Sub Groups to assist the members of the LTC.

5.

Narrative – Town Plan

Nigel and Sue had produced a very good draft narrative of the town plan, this had been distributed to the group.

Ian thanked them for producing such a good document. We went through the document and some amendments were agreed, Leah suggested some improvements.

Gillian offered to try and obtain a bigger Leyburn street map for us.

The next stage will be to approach Purple Creative to create an attractive plan and layout ready for printing.

It was agreed to aim for printing of the Town Plan before the end of April.

Further photographs are required, Nigel would contact P Sedgwick

Nigel requested that a full list of past and present Steering group members be sent to him.

6.

Project Plan

Ongoing update

7.

 

Budget

There was no change to the budget sheet from last month.

8.

Press Articles

Sue will add an update to Facebook

9.

Consultation

In view of the excellent progress now made we seem to be very close to publication. After some discussion it was agreed that it would be better to cancel the proposed public event of 6th April. We will plan a Launch event around publication of the completed town plan document, aiming for mid May.

10.

Lessons learnt and successes

Leah praised the group on the extensive work undertaken. She said that we should be proud of what we had achieved.

 

11.

AOB

None

Dates for Tuesday Steering Group Meetings 2018

1st May            12th June          10th July

                               

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes of the Leyburn Town Plan Steering Group Meeting

held Tuesday 13 February 2018 at Thornborough Hall, Oak room

 

Those in attendance: Ian Pace - Chairman, Derek Riley, Sandra Charles, Karin Sedgwick,

Sue Medley, Chris Grayell, Richard Sanderson, Charlotte Smith, Marjorie Iveson and

Michael Hepper.

  1. Apologies had been received from:- Gillian Wall, Nigel Watson, Chris Lawton and
  2. Keith Garrard.

 

  1. 2. There were no declarations of interest.

3.

Minutes and Matters arising

The minutes of the January meeting were proposed by Chris Grayell and seconded by Richard Sanderson, everyone agreed that they were a true record.

The current Terms of Reference for the Steering Group were reviewed, suggested amendments were agreed by all.

Actions Pending

Richard now has the Invoice from Campbells for the prize voucher and will submit it for payment asap.

Richard has made contact with 2 winners but is still having problems contacting the third. He will try one more time. He will also arrange for some publicity photos.

Karin and Michael will endeavour to visit the schools before our next meeting to give feedback from the survey and present vouchers.

 

4.

Action Plan

Ian thanked everyone for their hard work on sifting through the Residents Survey Free Text comments.

Derek and Ian had worked hard on producing excellent action plans using the summarised comments everyone had provided to them.

Derek presented these plans via projector. There were discussions around each subject, it was agreed that only a few changes were required.

Ian and Derek will work on completing the remaining parts of the Action Plan, they will distribute their work to everyone for comments prior to our next meeting.

5.

Project Plan

The need for a Tourist Information Centre and how best to provide tourist information was discussed in depth. It was agreed that without any obvious premises available the best way forward at the moment was for improved signage to show where leaflets are currently available from. Ian suggested that a Map showing various walks and cycle rides starting in Leyburn could be displayed in the market place, it was agreed that this was a very good idea which should be followed up.

Michael provided us with an update on how the Good Neighbour Scheme was progressing. They now have 16 volunteers. They have received a couple of referrals via Red Cross and have made contact with the Medical Centre who are pleased to support the scheme.

Sue and Nigel are working together on writing the narrative for the Town Plan. Sue updated the group on their progress.

Topics raised via the surveys will be noted in the narrative, not everything can be covered within the Action Plans.

6.

 

Budget

The current budget sheet had been distributed to the group prior to the meeting. There was little change.

7.

Press Articles

None

8.

Consultation

The Methodist Hall in Leyburn has been booked for Friday 6th April to hold our Public event where we residents will be able to view our progress so far.

We will use the Display boards we purchased last year to display material.

It will run from 10am to evening, 8pm.

Marjorie will be responsible for the refreshments, the usual Friday morning coffee session will be running alongside us. We plan to use the rear part of the hall for our display.

Ideally, we will share the cover between us over these hours, we will need to set up the display before 10am and take it all down afterwards.

Ian said we should arrange a couple of banners to advertise the event.

9.

Lessons learnt and successes

None

 

10.

AOB

None

Dates for Tuesday Steering Group Meetings 2018

13th March           8th May                 10th July

10th April              12th June             

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes of the Leyburn Town Plan Steering Group Meeting

held Tuesday 9 January 2018 at Thornborough Hall, Oak room

 

Those in attendance: Ian Pace - Chairman, Sandra Charles, Karin Sedgwick, Sue Medley, Chris Grayell, Nigel Watson, Richard Sanderson, Gillian Wall, Derek Riley.

New member – Charlotte Smith – LTC Town Clerk.

 

1. Apologies had been received from :-  Keith Garrard, Marjorie Iveson, Chris Lawton & Michael Hepper.

 

2. There were no declarations of interest.

3.
3..Minutes and Matters arising

Ian welcomed Charlotte to the meeting. Charlotte has agreed to help the group in her role as LTC Town Clerk.

Derek had received a copy of the Terms of Reference and noticed that several items are out of date. Sandra was asked to put this as an Agenda item for our next meeting so that any changes can be agreed.

The minutes of our November meeting were proposed by Karin, 2nd Chris G and accepted by All.

Ian informed the group that some SG roles needed redistributing due to Sandra’s ever increasing workload. Derek Riley has agreed to take over the Project Leader role from Sandra. The Working sub group document was discussed, members for each sub group were updated and changes agreed. Derek agreed to join the Planning sub group. Sue and Charlotte will Lead the Consultation sub group. The Action Plan sub group will be led by Nigel. It was agreed that the Marketing & Communications sub group work was mostly complete and that future social media etc was covered within the Consultation sub group. Ian will work with Sandra to update this document.

A list of Roles was distributed to the group, a more even split of work is required. Sandra will continue to cover Secretary, Treasurer & Records. Project Plan coordinator will be Derek. Other SG meetings/workshop organiser is Ian.

Enquiries, Facebook, social media co-ordinator is Sue. Sandra will remain as first point of contact with Frances(RDC). Nigel is the Action Plan sub group leade. Karin is the co-ordinator for volunteers.

Karin agreed to make contact with people who gave us their details a while ago, to see if they would like to contribute to the group. Sandra will pass contact details to Karin.

Karin suggested that she ask Philip re publicity, this was agreed to be a good idea.

 
 
4.
4.  Project Plan

Copies of the Project Plans will be forwarded to Derek. Derek & Ian will go through them together.
5.
5.  Budget

The latest budget sheet was distributed to the group
6.

 
6.  Consultation

There was a discussion on finding the best way to sift the 28 questions of Free Text comments from the survey questions. Ian provided some examples of comments on the play areas. After much discussion it was agreed that Derek and Ian would allocate the comments from questions fairly to every member of the SG for sifting.  The comments need to be sorted into ‘like’ lists.

It is very important that every member of the SG helps with this task and does their share.

Karin agreed to speak to RDC about bins not being emptied in the Play areas.

There will be a meeting on Monday 5th February to report back and prioritise the sifted comments. N.B Meeting of 5th Feb is Cancelled- we will report back at the SG meeting on 13th February.  We should then be in a position to request further detailed information from Frances.

It was agreed that we ask Leah to attend our March meeting to assist us further with the action planning.

Following our action planning process we should host a public event where we invite people to say which items they want to see taken forward. Aim for April for this event.
7.
7.  Press Articles

 Nigel agreed to prepare a short article for Leyburn Life and would copy same to Sue for posting on our Facebook page and also to Karin for Philip to prepare an article for the D&S.
8.
8.  Marketing and Communications

Sue will add some comments from the surveys to Facebook.
9.
9.  Survey

Richard informed the group that Stephen had now been paid for all of the delivering he had done for us.

 

 Richard was keen to encourage further businesses to participate and will take some paper versions to businesses in the market square.

 
 
11.
AOB

 
 

 

 

 

Dates for Tuesday Steering Group Meetings 2018

13th February     13th March           8th May                

10th April              12th June              10th July

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes of the Leyburn Town Plan Steering Group Meeting

held Tuesday 14th November 2017 at Thornborough Hall, Oak room

 

Those in attendance: Ian Pace - Chairman, Sandra Charles, Karin Sedgwick, Sue Medley, Chris Grayell, Michael Hepper, Richard Sanderson and Marjorie Iveson.

New member - Derek Riley.

Frances Bainbridge – RDC

1. Apologies had been received from :-  Gillian Wall, Nigel Watson

2. There were no declarations of interest.

3. Minutes and Matters arising

 

The minutes of the previous meeting were approved by All for publication. 

Ian welcomed Frances to the meeting.

Frances agreed that we could return all of the resident’s surveys to her once input was completed for her to store and destroy appropriately at a later date. Meanwhile Richard will store them, when he has them all he will drop them off at RDC.
 
4. Project Plan

The workshop with Leah is booked for 7th December at 6.30 in the Oak room.

The project plans have been updated.


5. Budget

As we ran out of time the budget was not distributed, Sandra will forward by email.

 
6. Consultation

There are approx. 100 surveys left to be input. We have done extremely well to get so many done so quickly. Several of the group took some of Richard’s pile to help.

 
7. Press Articles

 Richard suggested that a note about the Business survey, showing the link and closing date be added to the latest article submitted for Leyburn Life.


8. Marketing and Communications

Sue had added a few comments taken from the Youth Survey to our Facebook page. We hope to add some from the Resident’s survey as soon as we can. They are all anonymous.
9. Survey

Frances had provided a summary of results from the resident’s survey,  paper copies were distributed to all.

There followed some discussion on the results. Various questions on how the data could be extracted were answered by Frances.

It was confirmed that we will be able to have graphs.

Narratives were not included in this summary yet as there were so many. Frances will produce a further summary of these narratives and each of us will ‘precis’ a couple of questions each into more readable data.

It is possible to trace back comments to the ‘owner’ if required.eg to offer help to those who cannot get to the library but wish to use it.

It is possible to break down answers by where people live, their age etc.

Frances will provide an advance list of volunteers to us – Q25.

Frances will forward a list of Leyburn household numbers for us.

It was agreed that the Business survey would be Online only – no paper versions will be distributed.

We intend to distribute the survey via emailling businesses – we need an up to date list of business emails. Frances agreed to ask for us and Ian would also ask someone.

The end date for completion of the Business survey was agreed as Monday 11 December.

A few further amendments were agreed for the business survey, Frances will make these adjustments and send us the revised version on Friday.

Sandra to send the Sandpiper logo to Frances for the Business survey.

Richard confirmed that he had made contact with Stephen re delivery charge but he has not provided an invoice yet.

 
 
11. AOB

Arrange Prize presentation.

Meeting ended at 9:15p.m.

 
 

 

 

 

Dates of Steering Group meetings 2017

12 December 2017

Dates for Tuesday Steering Group Meetings 2018

9th January                          13th March           8th May                 10th July

13th February                     10th April              12th June

 
 

 

 

 

 

Minutes of the Leyburn Town Plan Steering Group Meeting

held Tuesday 10th October 2017 at Thornborough Hall, Oak room

 

Those in attendance: Ian Pace - Chairman, Sandra Charles, Marjorie Iveson, Chris Grayell, Nigel Watson, Keith Garrard and Richard Sanderson.

Gillian Wall – Stronger Communities NYCC

 

1. Apologies had been received from :-  Michael Hepper, Karin Sedgwick, Sue Medley and Chris Lawton.

 

2. There were no declarations of interest.


3. Minutes and Matters arising

 

The minutes of the previous meeting proposed for approval by Chris Grayell, seconded by Richard Sanderson and approved by All for publication. 

Ian reported that he had received a resignation letter from Perry Gardner, Ian said that it was regretful that Perry had resigned and reminded the group of how much effort Perry had put into the early stages of the survey and his contribution, we wish him well.
 

4. Project Plan

Nothing new to report, Sandra had distributed possible workshop dates to the group and Tuesday 21 November seemed to be first choice. She has provisionally booked Thornborough Hall for the evening (N.B Leah has since notified us that she is no longer available on this date)

5. Budget

Copies of the latest budget sheet updated by Sandra from invoices received was distributed to everyone. There has been little new expenditure added, we are still to pay for the survey delivery and some survey prizes.

 
6. Consultation

Data input of the survey responses was discussed, Sandra to contact Frances re gaining the list of Free Coffee winners, finding out when we will have access to start inputting the completed surveys. Sandra informed the group that Frances has some holiday coming which may delay things.

Sandra informed the group that we were having trouble in getting the schools to confirm that the Google Form Youth Survey was received and works, she had chased both schools by phone and email. Keith volunteered to chase the schools again.

7. Press Articles

The response to the survey has been very good so it was agreed that we should thank everyone. Nigel agreed to pen a short article of Thanks for the next Leyburn Life issue.

Sandra will forward it to the Editor.

8. Marketing and Communications

The Facebook campaign had quietened down as the closing date for completion arrived. We need to start a new campaign to retain interest, maybe some anonymous snippets from data collected. Chris L and Sue to discuss. We will need a campaign for the Business Survey.

9.  Survey

To date we have received 648 surveys, this includes the online surveys. A very good amount.

Richard will collect any remaining surveys and the boxes on Wednesday.

Thursday 12th October – Sandra, Ian and Richard will meet to sort the survey into those with contact details and those without. We can then number them ready for them to be entered into the Prize draw.

We need to know from Frances the final Online number and how many have contact details.

There then followed a discussion on the draft Business survey. A few amendments were suggested including an additional question. Sandra will forward all the amendments to Frances.

It is intended that we will email the link to the survey to as many local businesses as possible.

Marjorie is happy to visit some businesses to encourage participation.

We discussed how best to collect paper surveys and it was agreed that a box at Barclays and the Coop would suffice. We need to ask Barclays.

We will also offer a collection service if businesses contact us via our email.

We will require approx. 300 paper copies, we will ask Chris Lawton to obtain a quote for printing costs.

We will need posters to advertise the Business survey and a Facebook campaign.

 

 
 

10.  Lessons Learnt and Successes

The residents survey seems to have been very well received and a success, we are looking forward to seeing the feedback.

 

11.  AOB

Meeting ended at 8:30 p.m.

 
 

 

 

 

Dates of Steering Group meetings 2017

14 November 2017          12 December 2017

Dates for Tuesday Steering Group Meetings 2018

9th January                          13th March           8th May                 10th July

13th February                     10th April              12th June

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes of the Leyburn Town Plan Steering Group Meeting

held Tuesday 12th September 2017 at Thornborough Hall, Oak room

 

Those in attendance: Ian Pace - Chairman, Sandra Charles, Sue Medley, Karin Sedgwick, Keith Garrard and Richard Sanderson

1. Apologies had been received from:-  Nigel Watson, Perry Gardner, Michael Hepper,      Marjorie Iveson, Gillian Wall and Chris Lawton.

 

2. There were no declarations of interest.

3.
Minutes and Matters arising

 

The minutes of the previous meeting proposed for approval by Richard Sanderson Seconded by Karin Sedgwick and approved by All for publication. 
 
4.
Project Plan

Nothing new to report, Sandra to follow up workshop with Leah and ask for

alternative dates.
5.
Budget

Copies of the latest budget sheet updated by Sandra from invoices received was distributed to everyone.

Printing costs have been added. Purple creative used a build up of credit to pay the £180 for design assistance with the resident’s survey.
6.

 
Consultation

Nothing to report in this heading
7.
Press Articles

We need to have an article ready by 15th of this month if we want something for the next Leyburn Life, with Nigel away this would not be possible. We are having some banners printed to remind everyone to complete the survey.
8.
Marketing and Communications

We need to start a new media campaign now aimed at reminding people to complete a survey. Ian has some ideas for photos. Sue would liaise with Chris L

Banners have been ordered.
9.
Survey

Karin had delivered surveys to the whole of Harmby and Spennithorne. She had also delivered boxes of surveys for house delivery to Bellerby & Middleham.

Sandra informed the group that Perry had confirmed delivery of  surveys to all households in Preston under Scar.

Sandra had delivered a box of blank surveys to the Three Horseshoes in Wensley and they will pass some across for the Village Hall.

Sandra has been refreshing the supplies at all of the shops in Leyburn.

The survey distribution had been a lot slower than expected but most of Leyburn did seem to have received a copy.

Sue volunteered to deliver Moor Road for us as this had been missed.

Ian said he would deliver blank survey forms to Middleham, Redmire and West Witton.

Sandra volunteered to collect completed surveys from the boxes in Leyburn and take them to Richard’s shop for him to get to Frances at RDC.

The initial launch has gone very well. Keeping track of how many online surveys being completed is limited to Frances sending an email once a week because of the days that she works.

The first week up to Thursday a total of 57 had been completed.

The Youth survey format was discussed and a few amendments agreed.

Sue will make these changes via Google Forms and then email Karin so that she has all the information and relevant questions to ask the schools about how the data will be collected etc

There was a discussion on how the 2 prizes for the schools could be given, Karin and Michael will discuss this with the schools.

It was agreed that we should work to having the Youth survey completed before the October half term.

A copy of the draft Business survey prepared by Richard and Keith was passed around for discussion. Various suggestions for improvement were made, Richard will make these amendments and then forward the survey to Frances for her to create an electronic version.

 

 

 

 

 
 
10.
Lessons Learnt and Successes

The media campaign on Facebook has been a success and created a lot of interest. We need to do the same again for the remainder of the time left for completion of the surveys.
11.
AOB

Meeting ended at 8:35 p.m.

 
 

 

 

 

 

Dates of Steering Group meeting 2017

10th October 2017             14 November 2017          12 December 2017
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes of the Leyburn Town Plan Steering Group Meeting

held Tuesday 11th July 2017 at Thornborough Hall, Oak room

 

Those in attendance: Ian Pace - Chairman, Rev Michael Hepper, Richard Sanderson,

Cllr Karin Sedgwick, Marjorie Iveson, Chris Grayell,  Keith Garrard, Nigel Watson.

Gillian Wall – Stronger Communities NYCC.

Guest - Philip Holder representing the Leyburn Neighbourhood Plan

 

1. Apologies had been received from:-  Sandra Charles, Rev Chris Lawton, Perry Gardner.

 

2. There were no declarations of interest.

 

3.
Matters arising

 

The minutes of the previous meeting were proposed for approval by Chris Grayell, Seconded by Marjorie Iveson and approved by All for publication. 
 
4.
Survey

 

We have only six weeks to turn the survey around! 

We need to finalise the questions and then send them to Purple Creative.  (Frances has affirmed that her system will not cope with the graphic design.) Chris has been trying to shorten the online version. 

 

Countdown in the market square needs to be actioned.

 

Richard has emailed out the photos of old Leyburn market square.   Need a past present, future sent through to Purple Creative.

 

Quotes and time scales for printing.  Need finalised printing quotes – County Print, Purple Creative or another?

 

Monday 2nd October is the completion of survey deadline.

2nd – 9th October is the period for collection of completed surveys.

 

To ensure all of the above we need to meet on a weekly basis. 

Suggested next Tuesday morning at Penleys for the first of these at 9:00 a.m.

 

 

Gillian had emailed Ian about the findings resulting from the test survey which had revealed that there was insufficient information about non-users of the

Library.

It was suggested that Gillian’s question about the Library use should be

substituted.

Do you currently use the Library Yes/No? If  yes, go to second part of question – • Don’t need the services offered,

• Didn’t know there was a library\

• Opening hours don’t suit me

• I would like to use the Library but can’t get there.

• Other

Also Gillian flagged up that there has been little participation from those under 45+ so we know little about what young people actually want

Prizes - £100 voucher from Milners 50/50

£75 – Campbells 25/25

£50 – Sandpiper – the restaurant will provide a bottle of wine

Wensleydale Railway Cream Tea – action Karen

Forbidden Corner – two sets of tickets for two

 

Collection of the Survey is easier in small villages but in Leyburn we cannot knock on every door.  The Survey will request people to return it to specified collection points:  Hewsons, Leyburn Medical Practice, Leyburn Town Council Office, Kirkwood.

 

Credit to be attributed on Survey to North Yorkshire County Council. ie.  “Survey funded by NYCC.”

 

It was noted that questions now read from positive to negative.

 

The Questions were revisited with the following changes noted:

Question 7 Maintenance of The Town Square to be taken out of bold print.

 

Question 9 Extended speed limit zone

 

NB Tourist Information Office is now closed  - perhaps the Library can house this temporarily.

 

Dates

Completed Survey must be received by Monday 2nd November

The Draw will take place on Monday 6th November

The winners will be notified by Monday 13th  November.

 

Further information about Leyburn Town Plan can be found at: need Website address adding.

 

Digital Countdown needs finalizing – Posters still to be prepared.

For FaceBook, still three photos to be taken – Karin and hens, Trixie Walker and Rishi Sunak.

 

Posters will give information about dates and where the surveys can be

Obtained, what the prizes are.  This information can be gleaned from the Survey.

 

Counter needed to log the online surveys as they come in to ensure that the first 100 entrants get their free coffee.  Katie’s, Hornblowers, Penleys 
Youth Survey

Leyburn Youth Questionnaire will be on line.  Schools finish soon so we need to contact them urgently and find out what they require. Can they put a series of questions on line for us in Google form?  Straight questions, tick boxes?

Leyburn Primary School Survey may need to be simpler than the one used by Wensleydale School.  Have we time for this?

 

Some sample surveys based on similar surveys used elsewhere were looked at.  Suggestions were invited.   It was clear that a volunteer was needed to refine the survey for the schools prior to the pupils’ return in September.

 

Business Survey

This will be undertaken personally by members of the Steering Group. 

Businesses randomly picked in Leyburn and surrounding area.

Will be a good test of the economic climate.

The question about the Bid is a bit controversial since a successful Bid can affect everyone’s business rates and some businesses which did not vote for it can feel aggrieved at having to pay more. Decided to leave this question out.

 

Should the disc parking question be prefaced by an explanation that this would free up spaces for clients coming in from the outlying areas and therefore

benefit the businesses? 

 

“Add if possible” to the question about the Town Council taking over the long-stay car parking.

 

Entry Tickets needed for Wensleydale Show
 
5.
Budget

 

No change apart from some costs incurred with Purple Creative

Dog Pooh Bin, coming via LTC.  The question is who will pay for it.  We cannot really justify paying for this from the Steering Group budget.

 
6.
Lessons Learnt and Successes
7.
AOB

 

Meeting ended at 8:50 p.m.

 
 

Dates of 2017 Steering Group Meetings                            

8th August 2017                       10th October 2017                   12th December

12th September 2017               14th November 2017

For those who can, weekly meeting in Penleys – first meeting next Tuesday, 18th Meeting                   

 

Minutes of the Leyburn Town Plan Steering Group Meeting

 

held Tuesday 8th August 2017 at Thornborough Hall, Oak room

 

 

Those in attendance: Ian Pace - Chairman, Rev Michael Hepper, Chris Lawton, Richard Sanderson, Cllr Karin Sedgwick, Sue Medley, Marjorie Iveson, Chris Grayell, Sandra Charles and Keith Garrard.

 

Gillian Wall – Stronger Communities NYCC.

 

 

1. Apologies had been received from:- Nigel Watson & Perry Gardner.

 

 

2. There were no declarations of interest.

 

3.

Minutes and Matters arising

The minutes of the previous meeting were proposed for approval by Chris Grayell, Seconded by Chris Lawton and approved by All for publication. 

 

4.

Project Plan

Copies of the updated Project plans were distributed and we went through each one.

Gillian suggested that we arrange a workshop with Leah for later in the year, Nov/Dec to help us go through the data collected in readiness for preparing the Town Plan report.

Francis has sent an electronic version of the survey for us to test, she is testing various formats – eg phone use, pc use.

5.

Budget

Copies of the latest budget sheet updated by Sandra from invoices received was distributed to everyone.

Printing quotes have been received by Chris Lawton.

Printing costs may be slightly more than our budgeted figure because of the design work.

6.

Consultation

Nothing to report in this heading

7.

Press Articles

Nigel had written an article for inclusion in the next copy of Leyburn Life. A small amendment was agreed.

8.

Marketing and Communications

Chris had launched the ‘coming soon’ survey campaign which was being very well received. Ian thanked Chris for his efforts.

Chris suggested that we have some banners made to advertise the survey coming. Everyone agreed that this was a good idea.

Ian had received some feedback regarding size of posters required, mostly A4 size was wanted in favour of A3. Ian will distribute posters to the Notice boards.

Re attendance at the Agricultural Show, it was agreed that those few attending would purchase their tickets.

9.

Survey

Copies of the latest version of the survey with amendments from the last meeting incorporated were passed to all.

We went through the whole survey and further changes and amendments were agreed.

It was agreed to meet the following Wednesday morning at Penleys to review the survey with new amendments included.

We are aiming to start delivering surveys Tuesday 5 September.

The coffee shops have been approached to hold some stocks of paper surveys to encourage people to complete whilst they are in the shop.

Sandra has purchased boxes to be used to collect completed surveys in

premises agreed.

 

10.

Lessons Learnt and Successes

Ian thanked Chris for his successful launch campaign, endorsed by all of the group.

11.

AOB

Meeting ended at 8:45 p.m.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dates of Steering Group meeting 2017

12th September 2017      10th October 2017             14 November 2017          12 December 2017

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes of the Leyburn Town Plan Steering Group Meeting

 

held Tuesday 9th May 2017 at Thornborough Hall, Oak room

 

 

Those in attendance: Ian Pace - Chairman, Rev Michael Hepper, Richard Sanderson,

 

Cllr Karin Sedgwick, Marjorie Iveson, Chris Grayell, Rev Chris Lawton, Keith Garrard 

 

Gillian Wall – Stronger Communities NYCC, Perry Gardner and Phil Reed.

 

 

1. Apologies had been received from:- Sandra Charles, Nigel Watson,

 

 

2. There were no declarations of interest.

 

 

3.

Matters arising

The minutes of the previous meeting were proposed for approval by Chris Grayell, Seconded by Richard Sanderson and approved by All for publication. 

 

4.

Review of Survey

Preamble

Generally, the Steering Group felt that the appearance of the Survey was dreary.  Purple Creative are looking at the layout with a view to making it more attractive by adding some colour.

The Font size was felt to be too small.  The grey background makes it difficult to read.

The booklet needs to be in A5 format to fit into ‘Leyburn Life’ – this will ease

distribution.  An extra page would make a considerable improvement to the text size - 16 pages instead of 12 pages.

Ian noted that we cannot meet the Leyburn Life deadline.  It is important to get it right rather than rush it out.  Aim for the June deadline.  All Agreed 

2,500 copies to be printed.  ‘Leyburn Life’ will distribute 1,500 copies, leaving an extra 1,000 for the surrounding villages.

15 pages, with double-sided printing would cost about £279 for 1000

It was suggested that we offer a cup of coffee for 1 in every 10 people completing the survey on line.

Survey Reviewed Question by Question

Opening paragraphs

Remove “Survey For Residents and Users.”  Replace with “Those who live, work and play in Leyburn”

The Action Plan needs to be set out near start - Better place to live and work and more welcoming to visitors.

We can omit the fact that the survey is going to every household

Fund-raising bodies as well as grants.

It needs either a Logo at the top - or a series of 3 photos - Old Leyburn, Current Leyburn, Future Leyburn - using the same view.  Photos should be digital.

Leave out the second paragraph including “If you want to receive details ..”

Take out the code (bottom right) since these are no longer used.  Use a shortened URL in its place.

For further information - contact to be changed from Ian Pace to the Town-led Plan email (@google mail)

Towlers (Hewsons), Kirkwood Hall, the Town Council Office, Milners and the Coop to be included in the list of drop-in places for the survey.  Mole Valley Store was also mentioned as an alternative to the Auction Mart. 

.  Remove the Pharmacy

Discussion of Questions

Question 1. seems to be the wrong question to begin with - too personal. There can be confusion over affordable housing - cheap housing for first home buyers - and Social  Housing for those who will only be able to rent. 

Put Question 1 after question 10  (see below)

275 is probably more accurate than 215 new homes.

Question 2. to be removed.  More in line with a neighbourhood plan.

Question 3. accepted

Question 4. What value is this if there are many different answers?  The Library Survey was insufficient. 

Question 5. Omit column, “No opinion” since this serves no purpose.  

Change all columns starting from Not Important through to Very Important in each case.

Question 6. Omit

Question 7. Accepted

Question 8.  Reword - “What services have you seen in other similar-sized communities that would really benefit Leyburn?”

Question 9. Accepted  Remove “no opinion” / “don’t know” from all questions

Question 10.  Keep to three columns throughout,  Dissatisfied as first column, satisfied, the second column and Very satisfied.

(Question 1 introduced here)

Question 11. Three columns (as above) Not important, Important and Very

important.  

Question 12. “Extended” speed limit might not be understood by everyone.  (Needs stress-testing to see if this works.)

Question 13.  Keep to three columns as above.  Dissatisfied as first column,

Satisfied as the second column and Very satisfied as third column.

Question 14.  Omit “No opinion”.  Start with “Not used”, followed by “Not

important” etc. 

Wensleydale Railway to be included. 

Do people know the difference between taxi services and private hire?  There are none of the former in Leyburn so omit Local Taxi Services from the list.

Question 15. Include Park and Ride.  Add in the sentence: “With this in mind, which one of the following options would you favour?” 

Question 16. Rearrange the order - Too high, About right, Too low.  

Question 17.  Not important, Important, Very important.  Add, “in the town

centre”.

Question 18. Remove altogether.

Question 19. Five columns -  “Not important,” “Important,” “Very important,”

“Attended,” “Bring friends”

Remove “Do you visit these events?” and “Do you bring friends to these events?”

Question 21. to precede Question 20

Question 22. Remove this question.

Question 23. & Question 24  Accepted.

Add in another question (after Question 24) - “Please specify any other

facilities/activities you would like to see for families in Leyburn.”

Question 25. Not important, Important, Very important. 

Change “distance” to “Time taken to get to hospital”

Question 26. Take out e.g.. (and  only one question mark needed).

Question 27. Take out N/A

Question 28. Take out ‘No opinion’.  Change to “Would you like to see more

apprenticeships for young people?”

Question 29. Accepted  but leave out “No opinion” and “May be”

Question 30. Accepted but remove “May be”

Questions 31 - 34. Accepted

Questions 35 -40.  Accepted.

Question 41.  If employed, which sector do you work in?

Questions 42-23. Accepted.

5.

Report

Received the Report from Rita (Tees Valley Rural Community Council)  plus the

Invoice for £666.15 made up of 3 days attendance at launch events, data analysis and written report - £600 - plus travel at 0,45p per mile for 147 miles) £66.15.

6.

Posters and Banner

Posters were passed around for approval in both A4 and A3.  

Marjorie to pay for a banner and pass the invoice to Ian. (£50)

7.

Social Media Campaign

Social media campaign will be launched for a month and information sent out day on day.  This can be scheduled beforehand.  Good ideas and photos are needed.

Stories that include well-known people are particularly successful.

8.

Lessons learnt and Successes

9.

AOB

Meeting ended at 9:15 p.m.

 

 

Dates of 2017 Steering Group Meetings                            

13th June 2017             8th August 2017                       10th October 2017     12th December

11th July 2017              12th September 2017               14th November 2017               

 

 

Minutes of the Leyburn Town Plan Steering Group Meeting

 

held Tuesday 13th June 2017 at Thornborough Hall, Oak room

 

 

Those in attendance: Ian Pace - Chairman, Rev Michael Hepper, Sandra Charles, Marjorie Iveson, Chris Grayell, Karin Sedgwick &  Rev Chris Lawton.

 

Gillian Wall – Stronger Communities NYCC

 

 

1.Apologies had been received from:- Perry Gardner & Nigel Watson. Richard had messaged that he would endeavour to arrive later. We had not heard from Keith.

 

 

2. There were no declarations of interest.

 

 

The minutes of the previous meeting were proposed by Chris G, seconded by Chris L and agreed by everyone as a true and accurate record.

 

 

3.

Matters arising

Ian informed the group that he had received a letter of resignation from Phil Reed, Phil was standing down due to illness and family commitments. Ian has sent a thank you letter to Phil for all that he has done for the group.

4.

Project Plan

Sandra apologised for not providing an up to date Project Plan, it will be updated and distributed by the end of the month.

Ian gave a brief update on a meeting held on 30 May at Penleys. Sue Medley has agreed to join the Marketing sub group to assist with the social media.

Ian had received and email from Perry regarding Moles having a survey collection box but we should forward a letter so as to show a professional approach. After some discussion Ian suggested that he would visit the shop and speak to the manager.

The recent litter pick in town had been well attended despite it being a miserable day.

5.

Budget

The Statement of costs to date had been distributed to the group, Ian went through the budget. There are a couple of areas where we will not use all that has been allocated and it was agreed that we should move a proportion to the marketing heading.

6.

Consultation sub group

7.

Press Articles

8.

Marketing and Communications sub group-

The marketing sub group had subsequently met and have produced a superb ‘countdown to survey’ poster. It was agreed that these should be displayed in a couple of shops and on the market notice board , Ian volunteered to change the countdown number daily on the poster to be displayed on the market square notice board. It will be displayed at the beginning of July with the countdown to our 1st September launch. Sue will be doing a ‘have you completed the survey yet’ campaign in September and Perry is going to research how other towns have driven interest in their surveys to see if we can get ideas.

FB and Twitter will be used to advertise the survey.

The poster template has been received from Purple Creative, Ian showed us some example wording he had tried out and everyone is encouraged to come up with more ideas for wording on posters to cover – coming – complete the survey – only x days left etc.

It was agreed that offering a free coffee to the first 100 electronic completed surveys was a brilliant idea and could be a great marketing tool. Gillian encouraged us to follow closely quantities of survey completion so that we can tailor our marketing appropriately, boosting FB etc We may need to door knock to encourage completion.

Leyburn apathy was discussed and various ideas were mooted on how to approach this, possibly use a cartoon character?

Printing costs will be looked at by Chris L although he cannot get firm figures until we know the final number of pages. He will obtain 3 quotes.

Chris L and Michael are happy for us to advertise the coming survey at their stand which will be at the Leyburn Agricultural Show in August, it was agreed that this would be a good thing to do. We need to obtain a few tickets for the day. Volunteers will be needed on the day.

Marjorie is happy to have some posters advertising the survey at her photograph exhibition at the 1940’s weekend which will be in the Methodist Hall all weekend.

We can have our Town Plan banners displayed there too.

Michael and Karin were asked if they had recently been in contact with the schools, we want to retain their interest running up to the survey issue.

Karin will update the primary school on the current situation with dog waste bins as this was an issue they had raised with us.

There are now likely to be more dog waste bins available, Leyburn Council should re apply for one, Sally Dixon has recommended we do this and request bins for the new housing estates.

Are we sure that Richard and Nigel are working on the electronic short surveys for the schools? Gillian has a couple of questions on using the library that she would like inserted into the Youth surveys.

Marjorie will have a display in the Methodist Hall over the 1940’s weekend which will have many old photographs of Leyburn and history. Marjorie was reminded to forward her invoice for the advertising banner to Ian for reimbursement.

9.

Survey

We discussed what length of time we should give for completion of the surveys. It was agreed that by allowing a month we would be able to use Leyburn Life to remind people to complete it. Therefore the final completion date would be by the end of the first week of October (Friday 6 Oct)

We must have the surveys printed by 22 August in order to meet the Leyburn Life distribution deadline.

We still need Richard to confirm which Prizes he had sourced, this is now v urgent  as the details are required to be entered onto the survey.

The Youth survey was discussed, was it on track to be issued at the same time as the main survey?

10.

Lessons learnt and Successes

Having a good campaign now in place for advertising the coming survey is an encouraging achievement together with the excellent idea of offering free coffees for the first 100 electronic surveys completed.

11.

AOB

Richard had not been able to attend so there was no update on the survey progress with Francis. As we had completed all other business the meeting closed at 8.20 pm

 

 

Dates of 2017 Steering Group Meetings                            

11th July 2017                          12th September 17     14th November 2017

8th August 2017                       10th October 2017       12th December 2017   

 

Website Copyright ©2014-2018 Leyburn Town Council. All rights reserved.