Leyburn Town Council

Market Town & Gateway to the Yorkshire Dales





A Meeting of the above named Council convened by the Council was held in the Oak Room, Thornborough Hall on Monday, 17th July 2017 at 7.00pm.




Present:            Cllr Walker                  Cllr Begley


                        Cllr Harper                   Cllr Bradford


                        Cllr Read                      Cllr Medley


                        Cllr Pace




3465.  PUBLIC REPRESENTATIONS - There were no Public Representations.



3466.  APOLOGIES were received from Cllr Sanderson.



3467.  To receive any Declaration of Interest under the Council’s Code of Conduct or Members’ Register of Interest - There were no Declarations of Interest.



3468.  MINUTES OF MEETING held on Monday, 19th June 2017 were approved as a correct record.






  • A letter was received from Cemex regarding the dust emissions. May 2017 was a very dry month so dust control was challenging. All of the appropriate dust suppression measures were operating correctly and effectively.

  • Gary Hudson passed on his thanks to those who attended the litter picking day. He is going to ask a local contractor to provide a quotation to install strong mesh to the folly windows and door.

  • Yarker Bank Land update - John Hall is making progress with his enquiries.

  • A new HGV parking restriction sign has been requested for Moor Road.

  • The blacksmith has been in touch and the cycle sculpture for the market shelter will be delivered over the next few weeks.

  • Electoral review of Richmondshire: A consultation regarding warding arrangements is taking place and can be viewed at https://consultation.lgbce.org.uk.

  • Spennithorne & Harmby Sports Association are holding the annual car boot sale on Sunday 27th August at Ferrand Park, Harmby starting at 8am

  • Independent Domestic Abuse Services (IDAS) information session will be held at RDC Council offices on Wednesday 26th July, at 2pm. This will provide people with information about services available for people affected by domestic abuse or sexual violence. IDAS are looking for volunteer champions to help raise awareness, IDAS champions will receive full training and support.

  • Richmondshire area partnership funding scheme 2017-18. Each partnership area will have an allocation of £10,000. Applications are for up to £1,000 with a maximum of 75% of the overall project costs being awarded. The remaining 25% of project costs must be from an external funding source.






A Shawl Fields Management Group Meeting had been held.  Cllr Medley had attended a PPG Meeting.








  1. Market shelter- Mr Jamie Bull will re-decorate the inside with a durable paint. The joiner appointed will no longer be able to carry out work on the benches in the shelter so further prices will be sought.

  2. Councillor vacancy – An election has been called by ten ratepayers and this will be held on 7th September if the seat is contested.  This will be at a cost of £3,000 to the Town Council and Councillors agreed to have poll cards sent out.  The Notice of Election will be put up on 2nd August.

    Decision/Comment Required

  3. Moor Road – Councillors discussed the speed matrix sign and further traffic calming options.  The Meeting was opened up to allow Mrs Simms to address Councillors.  There are locations, such as near Kettlewell School, where markings have been painted on the roadside to help pedestrians and therefore this could be considered for Moor Road despite the refusal of NYCC.  It was suggested that the road could be narrowed at the top of the hill with a give way sign to allow only one vehicle through (as at Middleham Bridge).

    A speed survey will be carried out very soon on Moor Road and then at a later date the speed matrix sign will be placed there for several weeks.

  4. To further discuss the work to improve the benches in the market shelter - This will come back to another meeting.

  5. To discuss the use of fire station as a base for all emergency services - The ambulance service do not wish to park at the Fire Station since the exit onto the High Street is too narrow and can endanger pedestrians. 

    f.  The Police and Crime Commissioner, Julie Mulligan, is carrying out a consultation to consider a collaboration between the fire and police services in North Yorkshire.  This runs from 17th July - 22nd September 2017 and can be viewed and responded to at www.telljulia.com.


g.  To decide upon rules for Public Representations at Meetings - It was agreed that the rules should be left as they are so that members of the public can raise any issue they want, whether or not it is an agenda item.  The Clerks will prepare a card for 'rules' for the Public Representations section of the Meeting to guide members of the public who attend.  

  1. 3472.  PLANNING



  1. 17/00323/FULL Full Planning Permission for Rear Two Storey Extension to Create a Larger Third Bedroom to the First Floor and an Open Plan Kitchen and Dining Area to the Ground Floor (Revised Application) at 49 Dale Grove, Leyburn, North Yorkshire, DL8 5JG GRANTED

    Decision/Comment Required

  2. 17/00312/FULL AMENDED PROPOSAL Full Planning Permission for Replace Temporary Boundary Fencing with Permanent Fixed Boundary Fencing and Access Gates at Wensleydale Garden Centre, Commercial Unit 1, Station Yard, Harmby Road, Leyburn, North Yorkshire, DL8 5EY

    There were no objections to the application.

    3473.  MARKET

    Decision/Comment Required


  1. Councillors granted permission to use the Market Square for the Remembrance Day parade.

  2. To discuss the cost of removable bollards for the Market square - It was agreed to leave this to a later date if the need arises.

  3. Councillors agreed to an application from Rachel Noodford, Leeming Bar, for a permanent pitch on market to sell house signs (external and internal), plant pot holders and bird feeders.

    3474.  ACCOUNTS



  1. Barclays bank accounts have now been opened for LTC.

  2. Thornborough Hall accounts are now in electronic format on Scribe Accounting.

    Decision/Comment Required

  3. Councillors approved the June accounts as attached.


    Councillors will discuss increasing the suggested parking donation for the town's squares from £1.  Better signage for the donation boxes will be looked into.

    3476.  DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Monday, 21st August 2017 in the Oak Room, Thornborough Hall at 7.00 p.m.

    Meeting closed

    By Order of the Council.


Website Copyright ©2014-2018 Leyburn Town Council. All rights reserved.